Update: May 18, 2020
In response to the COVID-19 state emergency, the North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors (the Board) has authorized all Board-approved continuing education providers to offer synchronous distance-learning instruction for any Board-approved continuing education course, effective May 14, 2020, and ending November 30, 2020. This new option for delivering the continuing education to licensed general contractors in NC will help students safely complete their CE requirements and help prevent the spread of COVID-19. There were no other modifications to the CE requirement.
What is synchronous distance learning:
Synchronous distance learning uses web-based, real-time video conferencing enabling approved instructors and students to see and hear each other and for the instructor to screen share so students can view material being taught.
This is implemented on any synchronous distance platform the provider chooses (WebEx, Zoom, GoToMeeting, as examples).
- Students must be allowed the opportunity, at both required and reasonable time intervals, to engage and ask questions in real-time, with the live instructor. Streamed, pre-recordings of a live instructor are not allowed.
What will students need?
The technology and equipment required for a student to reliably access the synchronous platform selected by the provider must be clearly communicated to the student at the time of course registration.
At a minimum, this includes:
- A computer or other device with camera and microphone capabilities (student connection via cell phone is not allowed)
- Broadband internet access with a strong internet connection capable of maintaining connectivity
- Software requirements (i.e. operating system, browser, etc.)
All attendance requirements are still in effect and required for successful course completion. It is the responsibility of the provider to make certain the students who are certified as having completed the course met the necessary attendance requirements.
It is expected that providers will open class check-in for one hour or more prior to the posted class start time. Please be sure to check in early to help classes stay on schedule.
General Contractors in NC must complete Continuing Education to renew a license.
Home Builders Association of Winston-Salem is offering six dates to assist GCs in meeting this requirement. Each day will include a full 8-hours of approved instruction including the 2-hour mandatory course and 6-hours of electives (2-hour and 4-hour courses). GCs may sign up for the full 8-hours or any individual course(s).
- HBA Members (HBAWS will honor membership in any HBA.)
- 8-hours = $150
- 4-hours = $75
- 2-hours = $37.50
- Non-HBA Members
- 8-hours = $180
- 4-hours = $90
- 2-hours = $45
Dates (click on the date to proceed to registration):
- Friday, June 19, 2020
- Friday, August 21, 2020
- Friday, October 23, 2020
- Friday, November 13, 2020
- Friday, November 20, 2020
- Tuesday, November 24, 2020
To download a paper registration form, click this link:
Registration Form for CE.
For Reference: Visit the NC Licensing Board for General Contractors at www.nclbgc.org for full details about CE.
General Statute 87-10.2 states that North Carolina licensed general contractors will be required to complete continuing education (CE) beginning with 2021 license renewals.
- CE courses begin in June 2020.
- 8 hours of CE must be completed to renew a license by at least one qualifier for licensees in the license classifications of Building, Residential and Unclassified. For the Unclassified license, it shall be the qualifier who has passed the Building examination.
- The 8-hour course requirement includes a mandatory 2-hour course produced by the Board with information about changes in the laws and rules and other content applicable to general contracting.
- The remaining 6 hours will be elective courses produced by outside providers, submitted to and approved by the Board.
- The CE year begins January 1 and ends on November 30 annually.
- Classes will not be offered during December.
It is very important to enroll in the early classes vs. waiting until the end of the sessions (November 2020). There will be a large number of builders requiring these classes. We will be offering classes to any General Contractors – not just our members and class size will be limited.
If you have questions, you may send an email to Darlene Saunders.
If you have immediate questions, please call the HBA office at 336.768.5942. Please see the link to the Registration form below.
Link to Online Registration form