Update: July 10, 2020
North Carolina General Statute 87-10.2 states that NC licensed general contractors are required to complete continuing education (CE) beginning with 2021 license renewals. General Contractors must complete a total of eight (8) hours for license renewal. Two (2) of these hours MUST be a mandatory course that requires a special certification to offer. The remaining six (6) hours can be any approved elective courses.
To download a paper registration form, click this link:
Registration Form for Continuing Education.
Please see the link to the Online Registration form below.
Please note you may register for all classes online.
Link to Online Registration form
- HBA Members (HBAWS will honor membership in any HBA.)
- 8-hours = $150
- 4-hours = $75
- 2-hours = $37.50
- Non-HBA Members
- 8-hours = $180
- 4-hours = $90
- 2-hours = $45
Dates (click on the date below to proceed to registration for that particular date):
- Friday, August 21, 2020-this will now be held Virtually using Zoom platform
- Friday, October 23, 2020
- Friday, November 13, 2020
- Friday, November 20, 2020
- Tuesday, November 24, 2020
Our goal is to provide you with high level, relevant elective course offerings from local, North Carolina trained instructors that also work toward achieving your accreditation with NC Builder Institute.
Take It To The Next Level
If you have the drive and are willing to put in the hard work, a professional designation from the North Carolina Builder Institute (NCBI) will set you apart from the competition.
Clients searching for quality builders take notice when general contractors have an Accredited Builder or Accredited Master Builder designation on their license.
For more information regarding designations:
Please note that not all Continuing Education providers are offering courses that meet this requirement!
- 2hr Mandatory Course for all NC General Contractors-This class will be offered every time we offer a class. See Registration Form for times.
- 2hr Elective Course: BT 210 IAQ: The Key Ingredient to Whole Living (Indoor Air Quality) –August 21-Virtual
- 2hr Elective Course: BM 211 Best Hiring Practices for the Construction Industry-October 23
- 2hr Elective Course: BT 111 NC Residential Energy Code Chapter 11 Changes-November 13
- 2hr Elective Course: BT 212 Sealed Crawlspaces-November 20
- 2hr Elective Course: DS 103 What’s New with Kitchen and Bath Trends-November 24
- 4hr Elective Course: BM 204 Can Your Business Survive a Construction Defect Claim?-August 21-Virtual
- 4hr Elective Course: PM 202 What Does It Really Cost?-October 23
- 4hr Elective Course: BT 104 Advanced Design of Foundations-November 13
- 4hr Elective Course: BT 108 Resource Efficiency and Materials-November 20
- 4hr Elective Course: PM 201 Completing Your Projects On Time-November 24
Discover more about our courses here. Please note that 8-hours of continuing education will be taught at a time. Course offerings will differ by date of attendance.
You will need your NC General Contractor License Number and Qualifier Number to register. Find them here: https://www.nclbgc.org/
|We are currently planning for all of these classes to be held live and in person. However, due to the COVID-19 Restrictions placed on us by the state of North Carolina, these courses MAY be offered on Zoom in compliance with the NC Licensing Board for General Contractors’ requirements for synchronous learning. If we have to offer these classes via Zoom: Two (2) days prior to class you will be emailed with Zoom meeting information and class materials. After completion of the course, you will receive an email confirmation for your records as well as a certificate of completion. We will notify the Licensing Board of the course completion.
To participate you must have the minimum requirements:
- A computer or other device with camera and microphone capabilities (student connection via cell phone is not allowed per the Board)
- Broadband internet access with a strong internet connection capable of maintaining connectivity
- Software requirements (i.e. operating system, browser, etc.)
- Optional but Strongly Recommended: Preregistered Zoom Account with your full name listed
Does signing up for Zoom cost?
Zoom is free to sign up for and use.
When do I need to take my continuing education?
Continuing education classes will be offered until November 30, 2020. Providers are not allowed to offer CE classes during the month of December.
Do you report my continuing education hours to the NCLBGC?
Yes. Our team at HBAWS will report your completed continuing education hours to the North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors and pay all required fees on your behalf.
Will I need to pay additional money to the NCLBGC for my continuing education?
No, the team at HBAWS handles all of this for you.
How do I renew my contractor’s license?
All contractor licenses expire on December 31st of each year. Licenses can be renewed by filing an application for renewal with the NC Licensing Board for General Contractors. You must complete 8 hours of continuing education before November 30th in order to renew your license. If necessary, you can receive a 90-day extension for 8 hours of CE courses. However, the 90-days will begin on December 1 (classes cannot be held in December per the Board), so you will have to complete the 8 hours in January and/or February. You can incur a financial penalty from the Board for waiting.
Home Builders Association of Winston-Salem is offering five more dates to assist General Contractors in meeting this requirement. Each day will include a full 8-hours of approved instruction including the 2-hour mandatory course and 6-hours of electives (2-hour and 4-hour courses). General Contractors may sign up for the full 8-hours or any individual course(s). Remember, General Contractors in NC must complete Continuing Education to renew a license.
For Reference: Visit the NC Licensing Board for General Contractors at www.nclbgc.org for full details about CE.
- CE courses begin in June 2020.
- 8 hours of CE must be completed to renew a license by at least one qualifier for licensees in the license classifications of Building, Residential and Unclassified. For the Unclassified license, it shall be the qualifier who has passed the Building examination.
- The 8-hour course requirement includes a mandatory 2-hour course produced by the Board with information about changes in the laws and rules and other content applicable to general contracting.
- The remaining 6 hours will be elective courses produced by outside providers, submitted to and approved by the Board.
- The CE year begins January 1 and ends on November 30 annually.
- Classes will not be offered during December.
It is very important to enroll in the early classes vs. waiting until the end of the sessions (November 2020). There will be a large number of builders requiring these classes. We will be offering classes to any General Contractors – not just our members and class size will be limited.
If you have questions, you may send an email to Darlene Saunders.
If you have immediate questions, please call the HBA office at 336.768.5942.
Please see the link to the Registration form below.
Link to Online Registration form